What Is Black Mold?
Have you seen the reports on the news warning you about the dangers of black mold or toxic mold, plagued with misinformation and over-sensationalized? These reports can be alarming and confusing so it’s beneficial to get the facts to better understand mold. According to the CDC Stachybotrys chartarum (the proper name for black mold)is a greenish-black mold that produces allergens and irritants. This type of mold is known to grow on material that has a high cellulose and low nitrogen content, for example, fiberglass, gypsum board, paper, dust, and lint. If any mold is found in your home or business it should be inspected and treated by a professional. You should be cautious around the infected area and be sure not to touch or disturb the mold.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Henry, Spalding, Butts and Clayton Counties immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (678) 432-3003
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Henry, Spalding, Butts and Clayton Counties is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Locust Grove
- Millers Mill